Most people wait far too long and take their roof years beyond it’s level of productivity. When roofs break down, sometimes they may just need repairs but in other situations you will need a new roof. Is your roof past its life span? If you’re not sure then follow some of these tips in order to help you determine.
1. Roofs Age: It is a general rule of thumb by experts that a typical asphalt shingle roof will last between 20-25 years. If your roof was installed on top of another layer and it’s over 20 years then there’s a very good chance that you need a new roof. If your roof is pushing 30 years or above then you could have a serious problem.
2. Curling Shingles: There are two signs of curling that you need to keep an eye out for. One being when the edge of the shingle curls up and the other when the edge stays flat but the middle part starts to come up. Both signs are from weathering and they can also indicate that potential leaking is occurring.
3. Missing Shingles: A few shingles missing here and there isn’t a huge deal as they can get replaced. The issue becomes worse when they fall out at a higher rate and you aren’t able to find a replacement shingle that is the same color as your current ones.
4. Finding Shingle Granules In Gutters: As roofs get closer to the end of their life cycle they will start to lose more granules. Look inside your gutters to see if they are filled with shingle granules or not. If you see scattered or darker parts on the roof that’s another sign that granules have start to wear away.
5. Can You See The Daylight?: If you’re ever walking on the roof and notice a weakened or spongy bounce then you need to have your roof checked out. Go into your attic and see if any daylight is coming through the roof boards.
6. Sagging Roof: A sagging roof is typically a huge indication that there is major structural damage. If you see your roof sagging then reach out to a roofing contractor as soon as possible.
If you have any more questions about your roofs current condition, then please feel free to reach out. US Siding & Construction can be contacted over the phone at 617-467-5005 or through our online contact form.